Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Grandmother Everyone Should Have

If she heard me calling her "grandmother" she would upbraid me right away. Everyone knows her as "Mama" so I'll refer to her as that here. Every time I get an update on Mama's recovery I'll post it here.
Today was another round of highs and lows, but we're not giving up!
Apparently a number of Mama's children made the decision to give her dialysis. Hoorah! When this procedure will be done, or what curative effects this will have on her, I'm not sure. But the fact that a decision was made, and something is being done, is reason to cheer. It shows, after all, that there is hope.
Mama said a couple weeks before the accident when she had a doctor's check up that the doctor said: "If all my patients were as healthy as you I'd be out of business." Well let's visualize Mama as her strong and healthy self. God knows she is strong and healthy and it's her strength that has kept her alive all these weeks, kept us together as a family, and helped the women, like me, to be strong too.
We have to give her a reason to fight more, so let's keep praying and sending her all our warm and loving thoughts.
The last picture was taken the last day I saw her, in Brooklyn in July. The others are from Trinidad and Tobago in February. People may say Mama is old, but I never thought of her as that. For me she is feisty and independent and the epitome of what every older woman should be. She's always been a loving and giving person, so now it's our turn to give back to her.
I encourage people to post comments on this blog. Or ask questions. Anything Mama related is welcome. And only positive and constructive comments please. Anything else will be removed.
Best wishes to all; and as Sonny might say: Salud, Dinero y Amor!
Nicollette



3 comments:

  1. She is very strong. One reason being, "we ate good food. Not that crap McDonald this, McDonald that, that you'll eat now!"
    Can't you picture her saying that? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and only eating salad or "grass like a rabbit";)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also remember that she comes from good stock.So let's keep up the prayers .
    Love Marlene

    ReplyDelete