Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Celebration of Life


Mama passed away yesterday, Wednesday September 30, 2009, at 2.20 pm. At that time I was running to catch a connection back to NYC to get to work in time for an event I was organizing at the museum. Mama was not at the forefront of my mind but as always was somewhere at the back of my consciousness. I do feel that at times of intense human experiences, those close to the ones who are experiencing these things get some sense of it. Around the time of her passing I was nauseous and wondering why. My head hurt and I felt dizzy. I remember leaning my head over till it touched the back of the seat in front of me. The steward on the first flight had said I wouldn't make my connection but he was wrong. Never listen to anyone who says you can't do something. That is one of the lessons I learned from Mama.

Now she is no longer on the same physical plane of existence with us, doesn't mean we no longer have her. Like I said to my sister Josie yesterday, "She's a part of us now so will never be forgotten".

She will sorely and surely be missed by all whose lives she's touched, and her touch went far and wide. When I think of her as "My Mama" I know I am wrong because she was equally Josie's Mama, Melisa's Mama, Hailey's Mama, Mervyn's Mama, Sandra's Mama, Jose's Mama, and the Mama of everyone else who loved her and who she loved.

Let's all celebrate her life. She is in a good place; of that I am sure. If we are grieving it's ok. We are grieving for ourselves, because she is at peace and I'm sure content to be with the others who passed on before her; her husband, sister, father, granddaughter, great grand son etc. One day we will all join them too, but until then, let's celebrate life as she did, everyday sharing good and spreading love and caring around as she did.

Norma, we love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment